ICARE (International Community Actively Responding to the Environment) is a wonderful experience for all high school students, allowing students to contribute positively to their community, the environment and learn more about the Philippines and Filipino culture. ICARE embodies many of the school’s aims and CAS requirements. The school offers both Metro Manila and provincial sites for four days in December. Over the four years in High School, where possible, a student will attend four different sites, experience a wide range of activities and work with many different students. ICARE encourages students to move out of their comfort zone and accept new challenges. Students have the right to attend ICARE; all other choices must be considered as privileges. Students with the support of their ICARE chaperones will be empowered to direct and shape their ICARE experience. All students will have to submit the relevant CAS documentation for their ICARE trip.
ICARE Council 2018
Monday, September 3: ICARE Assembly
Monday, October 1: ICARE Homeroom #1
Wednesday, October 8: ICARE Homeroom #2
Wednesday, November 14: ICARE Homeroom #3
Wednesday, November 21: ICARE Homeroom #4
Monday, December 3: ICARE Homeroom #5
Wednesday, December 5: ICARE Homeroom #6
December 10-13: ICARE
Friday, December 14: Final ICARE Homeroom
Co- Presidents: Tanvi A. & Sam M.
Vice- President: Jenny Van R.
Secretary: Saskia G.
Web & Communications Officers: Bettina C. & Kody T.
Supervisor: Mr. Woods
Aims of ICARE
- Increase awareness of oneself, the Philippines and Filipino Culture
- Undertake new challenges e.g. building, trekking, interacting with children, teaching
- Plan and initiate activities e.g. preparing lessons, organizing work teams, preparing reflection sessions
- Work collaboratively e.g. working well with students from different grades and cultures, outside of the usual friendship groups
- Show perseverance and commitment e.g. building, painting or digging for a sustained period of time
- Engage in Issues of Global Importance e.g. building houses, working with marginalized people or understanding and responding to environmental impact
- Consider the ethical implications of their actions e.g. reflecting upon own motivations and impact upon ICARE partner
- Develop new skills e.g. learning how to build and / or paint, prepare lesson plans, teach and care for children with special needs; thus, breaking down social barriers